Sunday, June 06, 2004

This was written by my dear roommate, and is also posted on her blog, The Infernal Blog. I think it's fantastic, personally...

The Story of a High School Sweetheart...


My heart was glad once.
Not solely because of you, but I wouldn't say it hurt.
I really can't say why you intrigued me,
I really don't know why I began to care.

Still, I began to love you completely and started to give my heart away.
I just wanted to make you happy and never let you down.
I felt so swept away by feelings.
I didn't know what was up or down.

Passion, that is where I went wrong.
I felt too much, I knew too little.
I purposely closed my eyes.
I didn't want to know, I didn't want to see.
Thus I continued blindly, telling myself it would all end well.

Yet here came the anger, then hate showed up.
These were followed by insecurity, lies and manipulation.
I didn't recognize them all at the time, but in the end, I saw what they really were.
Portions of your character had come out to play.

I kept trying to say, "It isn't you."
But I knew I was lying to myself.
I continually tried to say that you loved me so it didn't matter.
I would try to deal with your pain for you so maybe someday we could be happy.

But alas, tomorrow never came,
Someday never showed up,
And forever disappeared.

I will always remember how much you cared.
I will never forget your kind and tender way.
Still truly, it is over. Done. Finished.

There is no going back.
There is no coming forward.
There is only "good-bye" to what could have been,
And "hello" to what can never be.

No comments: