Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Well, my mom and I cleaned some more today. We found her wedding dress. I tried it on. Told her that she'd better enjoy putting that veil on me, because it wasn't ever going to happen again. LOL She took pictures. Hope she enjoys them. I know she wanted grandkids, but...you know...with men the way they are these days... I'll put the pictures on my site someday soon. They're amusing. She's going to get her old wedding ring resized to fit me. It's diamonds and sapphires, and it's very pretty. Also found the old photo album from my mom and dad's wedding. It was...interesting.

I went down to the O.C. with Nikki and Monica (for you Californians, that's not Orange County, but the Oshawa Centre--a mall). I got something for my dad from Old Navy for his birthday, and got myself something from American Eagle. (Hooray!) Then Nikki came over for a while, and we talked. It was grand! Nikki's the greatest.

We further discussed the plans for our island. Our airport is going to be really small, and double as a strawberry stand, with a sign that says, "Airport/Strawberries". The fields all around the runways are going to be strawberry fields. We will only let planes land once a week, within a two-hour window. And that is because we will be the only immigration officers. That way, we can just reject people that we know personally. And we'll have a little button that we press that lights up a sign and plays a recording that says, "Access Denied". (We'll have a separate one for if any Monicas try to get in, saying, "No Monicas Allowed--Intruder Alert". And yet another for if people that we decide are allowed to live on our island try to leave. It will say, "World Access Denied".) And we're going to have our own private jets, to take us to 7-11 and stuff. (Every building will be equipped with a landing strip for our jets.) We've pretty much decided to take over Australia instead. Although that could present some logistical difficulties. We thought of sending a fake natural disaster warning...but decided it would have to be some amazing natural disaster to get a continent evacuated. Nikki thought we should set it on fire and rebuild from the ashes, but I wasn't so sure that would be a good idea. (Bermuda was brought up as a suggestion, but it's really too small.) We plan to make our money from sheet metal, so that it's inconvenient for others to carry. (Of course, we won't have to carry any, because we're Nikki and Diana.) And in the very centre of our island, we will place a huge marble monument with our Laws of Life inscribed on it in huge scripty letters.

My aunt Melonie operated on my cat! Luckily she's a nurse... She wrapped her in a towel, put her in a canvas tote bag (haha), took a syringe and drained Fluffy's ear. Then she put some sort of antibacterial something-or-other on it. In any case, it looks much better now, and Fluffy seems happier. It may have to be done again. But...whew. This is free. Thank heavens. Now my dreams of an electric guitar can be more than dreams! :)

Off-topic, I have very little faith in non-platonic love, and even less in the institution of marriage. Everywhere around me I see relationships and marriages crumbling. Usually because one person is stupid and horrible and unfeeling. But sometimes just because of circumstances. In general, it seems like a bad idea. Most relationships don't seem to work out, and if the parties involved even do stay together, many times it seems (from the outside) to be a really unhealthy relationship--where one person relies on the other to solve their problems without really dealing with them themselves, as in the following song:

Not the Doctor
by Alanis Morissette

I don't want to be the filler if the void is solely yours
I don't want to be your glass of single malt whiskey
Hidden in the bottom drawer
I don't want to be a bandage if the wound is not mine
Lend me some fresh air
I don't want to be adored for what I merely represent to you
I don't want to be your babysitter
You're a very big boy now
I don't want to be your mother
I didn't carry you in my womb for nine months
Show me the back door

Visiting hours are 9 to 5 and if I show up at 10 past 6
Well I already know that you'd find some way to sneak me in and oh
Mind the empty bottle with the holes along the bottom
You see it's too much to ask for and I am not the doctor

I don't want to be the sweeper of the egg shells that you walk upon
And I don't want to be your other half, I believe that 1 and 1 make 2
I don't want to be your food or the light from the fridge on your face
At midnight, hey
What are you hungry for
I don't want to be the glue that holds your pieces together
I don't want to be your idol
See this pedestal is high and I'm afraid of heights
I don't want to be lived through
A vicarious occasion
Please open the window

Visiting hours are 9 to 5 and if I show up at 10 past 6
Well I already know that you'd find some way to sneak me in and oh
Mind the empty bottle with the holes along the bottom
You see it's too much to ask for and I am not the doctor

I don't want to live on someday when my motto is last week
I don't want to be responsible for your fractured heart
And it's wounded beat
I don't want to be a substitute for the smoke you've been inhaling
What do you thank me
What do you thank me for

Visiting hours are 9 to 5 and if I show up at 10 past 6
Well I already know that you'd find some way to sneak me in and oh
Mind the empty bottle with the holes along the bottom
You see it's too much to ask for and I am not the doctor


She's right. That's totally unhealthy, and all of those things are to be avoided at all costs. Maybe we should all just be celebate and alone until the earth is consumed by fire. Seems like it might solve more problems than it causes.

One thing that sucks is when you have a terrible wound and it tries very hard to heal, and anytime it seems to be getting somewhere in the healing process, something breaks it open again, so it just keeps hurting and doesn't stop.

Yeah, that's not fun.

No comments: